Saturday, May 26, 2007

Steven and Friends


Steven and Friends
Originally uploaded by paynehollow
We have, at Jeff St, many great, wonderful and sometimes weird musicians pass through. One of our latest dear friends and song writers is Steven (who is sadly away for the summer).

Steven has written some incredible songs, as well as played some wonderful covers of other folks' songs. Here's MY personal favorite [dan]:


I don’t know, I don’t know
by Steven DeGeorge

If Jesus drove a truck It’d be gray a 4 cylinder,
and just enough to get him where he needs to go.
With the 12 in the bed and a 3 speed on the column,
He’d be the talk from here to Mexico.

They’d say who’s that man and what’s he trying to say?
If he’s so great why is his truck so gray? And old? And noisy?
Well I don’t know. I don’t know. I don’t know.

He drive that thing all over West Virginia,
telling stories to the miners and mechanics and their families.
They’d have Him in for breakfast and comment on His truck and how they’d fix it;
He’d say don’t worry where I’m going you never need a tune up.

He’d take His crew up through Jane Lew and on to
Charleston and Beckley and Bluefield and Wheeling.
Well he’d love the Appalachian Mountains and all the people living round them
would come to hear and see the miracles.

They’d say who’s that man and what’s he trying to do?
Did you hear he turned those R.C. Cola’s into bottles of Blue Moon
the other night at a party?
Well I don’t know. I don’t know. I don’t know.

He’d walk on into church like he owned the place,
and they wouldn’t see much more than the dirt upon his face.
And then a man would come and ask politely if he could show him to the exits
but He’d walk right past and take the podium.

He’d say “blessed are the poor mechanics blessed are the miners’ families and
blessed are you who help the least of these.
And woe to you whose wealth is blinding for you the kingdom will be like driving through the eye of a needle in a white-washed SUV,
…and they’d get mad. They’d get angry.
But I don’t know. I don’t know. I don’t know.

Well Just outside of Morgantown it threw a rod, the truck broke down,
and He sent His friends ahead and they hitchhiked.
They found a room and just like He said there was a Schwin and it was red, and
they brought it to Him and He rode triumphant in.

Hosanna man lay your Carhart down. He’s ridin in, put your coat on the ground
Hosanna man lay your flannel down. He’s riding in, put your shirt on the ground.

3 Comments:

At 5/26/07, 11:30 AM, Blogger brd said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 5/26/07, 11:31 AM, Blogger brd said...

Thank you so much for posting these lyrics. I was just talking to my mother about this song. Stevie sang it to her last night. The family was having a get together and mother asked Stevie to sing. He said, "Well, I didn't know this was going to be like that." Then he got his guitar and my sister chimed in with a ukulele. My uncle, who was listening wondered, "How can he remember all those words!" But my mother said she liked the ending where folks laid their shirts down on the ground.

 
At 5/28/07, 6:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved this song so much that I almost died when I heard it the first time! How great to read the wonderful lyrics! Cindy W.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home