Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Life is a Cabaret, Part I

I’ve been on a 70’s music kick lately; much to the sorrow of my wife and child. You know the 1970’s:

Just When I Needed You Most by Randy Vanwarmer

You packed in the morning, I
Stared out the window and I
Struggled for something to say
You left in the rain without closing the door,
I didn’t stand in your way,
Now I miss you more, than I missed you before and now,
Where I’ll find comfort, God knows
‘Cause you left me, just when I needed you most…

Ever heard that song? I liked the song as a young adult, because of the angst, and the “you”, in “you left me” great 4 part harmony, and this song was one of the few top 10 songs to have an autoharp solo.

Masked the fact that the guy was a real Loser. I, I, I, me, me, me. Had to unlearn a lot about love from that song.

Or what about The New Seekers: Look what they’ve done to my song ma: First exposure to French:

Ils sont change ma chanson ma,
Ils sont change ma chanson, ma;
mais c’est la seul chose que je peux faire, et ils ne c’est pas bon ma,
Ils son change ma chanson.

I first learned about public nudity from The Streak, (Here he comes, boogadah, boogadah) and learned about how much fun truckin’ could be from Convoy (‘cause we’ve got a mighty convoy, truckin’ through the night….)

Or here’s something that I now consider ironic:

The 1978 Record of the Year award went to the Eagles, for Hotel California; beat out Debbie Boone’s You Light Up My Life. This, of course, was awful, for everyone knew that the Eagles were singing about Satanism, and Debbie Boone was singing about Love, and she was a Christian.

Here’s where the Irony comes in: Debbie who? And the Eagles, who were singing about the materialism and spiritual emptiness found in Southern California (something a Christian could get behind), have a song that’s stood the test of time.

Susan told me the other day that Hotel California reminded her of her college chemistry lab:

You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave."

======
by Kevin...but wait! There's more!

1 Comments:

At 10/11/06, 3:12 AM, Blogger Michael Westmoreland-White, Ph.D. said...

I always thought Hotel California was about prostitution: mirrors on the ceiling; pink champagne on ice. But I could never figure out what the "beast" was that the folks in the hotel were "stabbing with their steely knives" but couldn't kill.

My '70s tastes tended to run to Atlanta Rhythym Section, Electric Light Orchestra, Chicago, Jim Croce, Kansas, Fleetwood Mac, etc.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home