Thursday, April 20, 2006

Easter monologue

And when they were come unto a place called Golgotha, that is to say, a place of a skull...And they crucified him, and parted his garments, casting lots...And they that passed by reviled him, wagging their heads...Likewise also the chief priests mocking him, with the scribes and elders, said, "He saved others; himself he cannot save. If he be the King of Israel, let him now come down from the cross, and we will believe him..." Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost...Now when the centurion... saw the earthquake, and those things that were done, they feared greatly, saying, "Truly this was the Son of God."

======

Truly, this was the son of God.

But not of any gods that I know.

As a centurion, I know well of gods. I am aware of the Hebrew gods. Their “Conquering god of Israel, ever victorious in battle.” I’ve heard it from the lips of countless zealots as they lay dying in a pool of their own blood. I know, too, of the “gods” of the Pharisees – gods of their own making, it seems to me, to keep their fragile hold on what they perceive as power.

And I know of my gods. The gods of war! Of discipline! Of authority! Hail Caesar and the mighty Roman empire! Long may it...

But I’ve heard of this man, Jesus. Heard of his teachings – how he boldly, fearlessly confronted his own Jewish authorities and even Rome herself! I assumed with the authority with which he spoke, he must surely have a large army to back his words. An army soon to be destroyed, of course.

But, no. He confronted us all, questioned our authority – Caesar’s authority! All with the backing of a few swordless fools.

Why?

I could not understand.

Hearing his teachings – love your enemies, overcome evil with good, good news for the poor and outcast – hearing of these teachings and the conviction with which he spoke, then seeing his humble death tonight and the love in his eyes for his mother, his friends…for me!

I’ve seen many things working here at Golgotha, but never such love and forgiveness expressed towards me.

And I think I see, now.

Truly, this was the son of a strange god, a god that is real to him. Truly this was the son of the God.

And I, I am undone.

======

by Dan, who is well acquainted with being undone...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home